WILLIAMSTOWN - NEW JERSEY

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

Williamstown

main

Population 12.000

Williamstown is a census-designated place and unincorporated area located within Monroe Township, in Gloucester County.

Before settlement in 1737, Williamstown was inhabited by the Lenni-Lenape tribe of Native Americans, from whom the town derived its original name, "Squankum." The name (Lenape for 'place where evil spirits dwell') was changed to Williamstown when the town's first post office was established.

n the early eighteenth century, Richard Penn sold what eventually became Williamstown to his grandson, John Williams, who divided and resold the land in lots to settlers and for whom the town was eventually renamed. The town was officially incorporated as Monroe Township in March 1859, with Williamstown as meeting place to vote and have town discussions.