MOUNT AIRY - MARYLAND

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

Mount Airy

main

Population 6500

Mt. Airy was established in 1830 and continued to develop throughout the decade, beginning with the construction of house settlements along Parr’s Ridge. A man named Henry Bussard built the first of these houses. This town was known for its train station on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) at Parr’s Ridge. The railroad ran from Baltimore to Frederick, two popular towns to the east and west, respectively, of Mt. Airy. Following 1830, the town received its official after the suggestion of "Mount Airy" from an Irish, B&O worker who complained about his freezing ears on a windy work day.

The town’s proximity to the National Pike contributed to its growth. The National Pike was a road that ran west from Baltimore to Illinois. Beginning in the 1860s, Mt. Airy continued to grow as it became involved in the Civil War.

 

main street mt airy

 

 

 

embleem