NEW MARKET - MARYLAND

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

New Market

main

Population 400

When Frederick, Maryland began being settled in 1745, trade routes between Frederick and Baltimore emerged. One of these roads passed through present day New Market, and later became known as the National Road and the Gateway to the West. In 1954, U.S. Route 40, a major coast to coast highway, took over where the former National Road had stood. To accommodate the influx of travellers along this important colonial road, Nicholas Hall attempted to lay out the town of New Market in 1788, but was unable to do so, likely due to disputes with William Plummer, an owner of adjoining land. On August 1, 1792, William Plummer laid out 36 lots for the town. Later, on January 29, 1793, Nicholas Hall laid out an additional 134 lots. One June 1, 1793, the town of New Market, Maryland was officially born when the first 19 lots were sold.
As time passed, the town established itself as an important stopping point along the route, complete with churches, hotels, inns, doctors, a post office, taverns, blacksmith shops, and other crucial services to travellers along the road.

New Market is known as the Antiques Capital of Maryland.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Town Hall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Founders Inn

 

 

 

New Market