MIDDLETOWN - MARYLAND

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

Middletown

main

Population 2600

A young Lieutenant George Washington, while surveying the South Mountain area, reported that the valley to the east was one of the most beautiful places he had ever seen. Later, as a Colonel in 1755, he was to accompany General Braddock on the old Indian Trail that ran through the valley on his way to Fort Cumberland.

The early German and English settlers started to arrive in the valley in the 1730s. Among them was Michael Jesserong, who paid £66 for 50 acres (200,000 m2). He named his property Middletown and sold the first lots there in 1767, the date officially marked as that of the town’s founding.

The history of Middletown is a mirror on the nation’s development. Main Street spread to the west with construction of the National Pike through the town in 1806; the telegraph lines from Frederick to Hagerstown were routed through Middletown in 1854; and in 1896, car 11 of the Frederick Middletown Railway made its first run to Middletown. During the Civil War, both armies passed through the town to the battles of South Mountain and Antietam. In the aftermath of those battles, Middletown opened its churches and homes to care for the wounded.

Middletown

 

 

main street middletown

 

 

 

 

 

 

Middletown

 

 

 

 

 

 

Middletown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Middletown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Middletown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

main cup

 

 

Middletown

Its name is derived from the building’s history which began over 100 years ago when C.F. Main began making and selling ice cream here. Main was a German immigrant who changed his original name Mainz in the more americain Main. Main’s Ice Cream and Butcher Shop became a Maryland institution as the business grew regionally. Presidents and state officials were known to stop at Main’s on their way to Shangri-La, now known as Camp David.

 

Visitor from the restaurant.

 

 

 

 

 

Middletown