FROSTBURG - MARYLAND

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

Frostburg

main

Population 8000

Frostburg had its beginnings back in 1811 when surveying began for the National Pike, a road used to transport crops and raw materials to East Coast markets. President Thomas Jefferson had authorized construction of the road in 1806.

Meshach Frost built the first house in 1812 and named it Highland Hall. This building was a popular stopping point for celebrities and dignitaries who traveled the National Pike.

seal

Frostburg was originally called Mount Pleasant until 1820, when the government developed a postal service, and the town was renamed Frostburg.

Historical Downtown Frostburg was constructed between the years of 1870-1915 when the town was entrenched in the mining and brick making industry.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Hotel Gunter, located on Main St across the street from the Princess Restaurant, opened in 1897. Originally named Hotel Gladstone, the original hotel had 100 rooms, a cafe, a barbershop, and a sample room for displaying traveling salesmen's wares. The hotel tanked and was sold in 1903 to William Gunter, who renamed it the Hotel Gunter in 1925. He installed a jail for prisoners being transferred and a cock-fighting ring in the basement. The hotel's basement was also used as a speakeasy during prohibition.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Frostburg
1919 Durst

Frostburg
1919 Betz

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Palace Theatre

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

F.O.E. Fraternal Order of Eagles

 

The Fraternal Order of Eagles, an international non-profit organization, unites fraternally in the spirit of liberty, truth, justice, and equality, to make human life more desirable by lessening its ills, and by promoting peace, prosperity, gladness and hope.

The Fraternal Order of Eagles was founded on February 6, 1898. The organization was formed by six theater owners sitting on a pile of lumber in Moran's shipyard in Seattle, Washington. They were competitors who had come together to discuss a musicians’ strike. After deciding how to handle the strike, they agreed to "bury the hatchet" and form an organization dubbed, "The Order of Good Things."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Frostburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coal mining was the first major economic draw, but the industry faced problems in its early manifestation. The mountains of western Maryland and Frostburg proved to make transportation of coal very difficult. Not until the completion of the railroads did the coal industry in Frostburg began to flourish. The first major coal producer was Meshach Frost, who owned a significant amount of land for mining and founded the Frostburg Coal Company.