SHREWSBURY - PENNSYLVANIA

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury

main

Population 3300

Shrewsbury Township, was  settled in 1739 and Incorporated in 1742, while part of Lancaster County.  Shrewsbury Township was among the original 13 Townships that made up York County and one of the first municipalities to be established west of the Susquehanna River.

When the township was established, the majority of the citizens were English and Scottish-Irish as reflected by the English name of Shrewsbury. The Germans began to locate in the township shortly after its formation, and many of the former English settlers sold their lands.

Shrewsbury Borough was developed by Baltzer Faust in 1797. It began as a tract of land along Joppa Road, which was formerly known as the Potocas Trail (a Native American trail that linked York and the ports of Joppa and Potapsco on the Chesapeake Bay.) Faust broke up the land into lots measuring 66 by 264 feet, and they were bought by primarily German settlers.

The settlers renamed the land “Strassburg”, meaning “village by the road”. In 1810, Joppa Road became the Baltimore-York Turnpike, which bisected the village bringing numerous settlers and diverse influences. In 1830, the population of the town and surrounding area became predominantly English, and the town name was changed from Strassburg to Shrewsbury.

Four years later, Aug. 9, 1834, Shrewsbury was incorporated as a borough by an act of the General Assembly. During the 20 years following Shrewsbury Borough's inception in 1834, the community had developed as a closed society whose citizens were a thrifty and pragmatic mix of English and Germans. That was reflected by their buildings' styling and decoration. Shrewsbury reached its social and financial peak in the Antebellum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shrewsbury
One on every corner

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shrewsbury