CLARKSBURG - WEST VIRGINIA

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

Clarksburg

main

Population 17.000

The first documented visitor to the area now known as Clarksburg was John Simpson, a trapper, who in 1764 located his camp on the West Fork River opposite the mouth of Elk Creek.

As early as the year 1772, settlers began locating their lands near where Clarksburg now stands, and in 1773 Daniel Davisson took up 400 acres (1.6 km2), upon which the principal part of the town is now located.

Clarksburg was formed in 1785 in Virginia. The city is named for General George Rogers Clark, who gained fame on the frontier by his many expeditions against the British and Indians in the Indian Wars and the war of the American Revolution.

In 1840 a daily line of stages and a regular mail service was established that connected with the Ohio River steamers at Parkersburg. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad reached Clarksburg from Grafton in 1856.

clarksburg panorama

 

 

stonwall jackson hotel

 

 

 

 

clarksburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

clarksburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clarksburg

 

 

 

empire building