CHILLICOTHE - OHIO

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

Chillicothe

ChillicotheChillicothe

main
Never seen so much churches in one Main Street.

Population 22.000

Chillicothe was the first capital of Ohio. The name comes from the Shawnee name Chalahgawtha, meaning "principal town", as it was a major settlement of that people. It was once the center of the ancient Hopewell tradition, which flourished from 200 BCE until 500 CE. This Amerindian culture had trade routes extending to the Rocky Mountains. They built earthen mounds for ceremonial and burial purposes throughout the Scioto and Ohio River valleys. Later Native Americans who inhabited the area through the time of European contact included Shawnees.

It was after the American Revolution that most European settlement came to this area. The community was plotted by General Nathaniel Massie on his land grant.

chillicothe map
1849

Migrants to Chillicothe included free blacks, who came to a place with fewer restrictions than in the slave states. They created a vibrant community and aided runaway slaves coming north. As tensions increased prior to the breakout of the American Civil War, the free black community at Chillicothe maintained stations and aid to support refugees on the Underground Railroad. Slaves escaping from the South traveled across the Ohio River to freedom, and then up the Scioto River to get more distance from their former homes and slave hunters.

seal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The square building is a replica of Ohio's first capitol building and serves as the office of the Chillicothe Gazette.

 

 

 

Bainbridge

The Chillicothe Gazette is Ohio's oldest newspaper, published daily at Chillicothe.The paper was founded as a weekly at Cincinnati, Ohio, then the capital of the Northwest Territory, November 9, 1793 as the Centinel of the Northwest Territory. It decamped to Chillicothe when the territorial government moved to that city circa 1800.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chillicothe

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Court House was the first State Capital House.

chillicothe court house

Chillicothe

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chillicothe

 

main street chillicothe

 

main street chillicothe