GREENSBURG - INDIANA

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

Greensburg

main

Population 11.500

In 1819, through the Indian Treaty of St. Mary's, the U.S. Government acquired a tract of land known as the New Purchase. Soon after this, the John Fugit & Griffy Griffith families entered the region, becoming the first settlers of the county.

The county seat, was laid out in 1822. The ground upon which the town is built was donated by Thomas Hendricks and John Walker for the location of the county seat. At a special meeting, John B. Potter was ordered to proceed immediately "to lay off the town of reensburg."
The original plat, consisted of nine squares, eight around the public square. The land was then "all in woods, with a thick undergrowth." Potter was ordered by the commissioners to employ men to grub and clear off the town plat, and to be careful and employ men who would do the work, and wait "one year for their pay."
The site was named, Greensburg by Thomas Hendricks wife, for her home in Pennsylvania. The first county building was a jail built in 1823.

The first Courthouse was actually the home of Thomas Hendricks, a double log building, Several different buildings were there until the current structure was built in 1860.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The County Courthouse, is known for a tree which grows from the top of the Courthouse Tower, giving Greensburg its nickname of the "Tree City.”

tree postcard 1900

There have been trees growing since the first tree was noticed in the 1870s. Other trees appeared on the clock tower and officials were initially concerned that they would cause damage to the roof. A steeplejack was hired in the 1880s to remove some of them. Two trees were left, with one ultimately growing to a height of nearly 15 feet. Today, there are two trees on the tower.

Greensburg

 

Greensburgmemorials in front of the court houseGreensburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1907Main Street 1907

 

 

19151915swmain

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bank for sale

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Greensburg
Quality since 1953

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bank for sale

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Greensburg