TROY - ILLINOIS

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy

main

Population 8500

 

cabin

In 1819, ten acres of land in southern IL became the future city of Troy. Settler James Riggenbought the ten acres for $100. The community was then mapped out, surveyed, and renamed Troy. Within a year, the village was populated by 120 people.

Troy's humble beginnings started with just a band mill, storehouse, taverns, and housing. With the addition of a post office in 1833, and the National Road in 1839, Troy would become the first stagecoach stop for travellers to and from St. Louis, 18 miles west of the budding community.

1850

In 1850 the community had grown to 250 people, covering every occupation necessary in a small town. These skilled citizens, along with the "stagecoach stop" recognition, helped Troy become legally recognized as a town in 1857.

Troy officially became a city on April 12, 1892 with a population of over 1,080 by the year 1900.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Troy