ST. CHARLES - MISSOURI

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

St. Charles

main

Population 65.000

It is the third oldest city west of the Mississippi, founded in 1765 as Les Petites CĂ´tes, "The Little Hills", by Louis Blanchette, a French Canadian fur trader, and was the last "civilized" stop for the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1804.The c ity served as the first Missouri capital from 1821 to 1826.

map

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St. Charles

 

 

 

 

 

 

St. Charles

 

 

 

 

 

 

map

 

William Clark arrived in St. Charles on May 16, 1804. With him were 40 men and three boats; there they made final preparations, as they waited for Meriwether Lewis to arrive from St. Louis.

As the men approached St. Charles, Clark wrote in his journal, " . . . a number Spectators french & Indians flocked to the bank to See the party. This Village is about one mile in length . . . about 450 inhabitents Chiefly French, those people appear pore, polite & harmonious."

They attended dances, dinners, and a church service during this time, and the excited town was very hospitable to the explorers. Lewis arrived via St. Charles Rock Road on May 20, and the expedition launched the next day in a keelboat at 3:30 pm. St. Charles was the last established American town they would visit for more than two and a half years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St. Charles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St. Charles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St. Charles