INGALLS - KANSAS

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

Ingalls

main

Population 300

 

Long before Ingalls was permanently settled, The Santa Fe Trail passed through the townsite.

Ingalls was founded in 1884 by Asa T. Soule, a millionaire and early Kansas investor. He named it for John J. Ingalls, then a US senator from Kansas, who created the state motto Ad astra per aspera.

Mr. Soule had grand dreams of building a canal to take water from the Arkansas and use it for irrigation. It never worked and Mr. Soule unloaded his interest in the Eureka Irrigation Canal for $1,000,000. One of the giant pumps for pumping water from the Arkansas into the Soule canal is on display in front of the local museum. The steam-driven centrifugal pump could move 30,000 gallons per minute.

 

Gray county's first (1872) settler, D. W. "Doc" Barton (1850-1946), lived in Ingalls for much of his life. He came to western Kansas in 1872 to graze Texas cattle on the open rangeland of the area, and was very successful until he was bankrupted by the great blizzard of January, 1886.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ingalls

 

 

Ingalls