ALMIRA - WASHINGTON

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

almira

 

main

Population 300

 

The area that would become Almira was first settled in the 1880s by Charles Davis purchased land and erected a small store to serve the few settlers living in the area. With the eminent construction of the Central Washington Railroad (later acquired by the Northern Pacific) through the area in 1889, Davis was approached by land developers who were looking to start a town on the site. The developers and Davis agreed to christen the new town Almira, after Davis' wife's given name.

 

The railroad reached Almira in the Fall of 1889, where it would serve as the line's temporary terminus. All trains ran to this point, connections by stage being made to points westward. These factors made the town furiously active.The town's population was 156. In November 1890, Almira citizens voted for prohibition and the city temporarily became the only dry town in the Big Bend Country.
Almira was officially incorporated on February 1, 1904.

 

1911
Near Almira 1911