MONITOR - WASHINGTON

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

monitor

 

main

Population 300

Between railroad and bridge. only 7 buildings.

The area was known by settlers as Brown's Flat, named after Reuben Brown who settled there in 1885. In these days, the Wenatchee River formed the boundary between old Kittitas and Okanogan counties.

The Great Northern Railway passed through in 1892, causing little stir in the area but jump-starting the construction of the Peshastin irrigation ditch, which would bring water the area and make it a prime place for agriculture. The ditch was completed in the early 1900's and local orchards thrived. A small community grew around the warehouses. A post office was established in 1902 and the citizens chose to rename the community in honor of the Ironclad warship USS Monitor which fought during the American Civil War.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

P.A. Brown 1911

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

P.A. Brown
1911