PEHASTIN - WASHINGTON

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

pehastin

 

main

Population 900

The Great Northern Railway played an important part in the development of the Community of Peshastin, as well as that of the Wenatchee Valley and the entire northwest.

 First owned by the Northern Pacific Railway, Peshastin was later bought by Aquillar Estes. Estes built the first house in Peshastin.

The little town of Peshastin was established about 1890 by J.Q. Gilbert, with a Post Office and tavern located along the Blewett Cutoff road. In 1892, the Great Northern Railway laid tracks up the Wenatchee River Valley and the town was moved to its present location, across the Wenatchee River to the north, and along the tracks. A depot was established in Peshastin.

In 1920 Unionized labor was brought to the Peshastin area. This brought the Klu Klux Klan to the area to oppose them. Chapters of the Klan were located in Cashmere and Wenatchee.

 

peshastin 1920 Downtown 1920