AUBURN - WASHINGTON

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

auburn

 

main

population 70.000

The city of Auburn, located 20 miles south of Seattle was home to some of the earliest settlers in King County.

Nestled in a fertile river valley, Auburn has been both a farm community and a center of business and industry for more than 150 years. The valley was originally the home of the Skopamish, Smalhkamish, and Stkamish Indian tribes. The first white men in the region were explorers and traders who arrived in the 1830s.

Settlers first came to the valley in the 1850s. In November, a military unit led by Lieutenant William Slaughter camped near what is now present-day Auburn.

Auburn was originally incorporated as Slaughter, after Lt. William Slaughter, who died in a skirmish in 1855.

Slaugther 1885
Portway's Store Slaughter 1885

At the time, the main hotel in town was called the "Slaughter House." In 1893, a large group of settlers from Auburn, New York moved to Slaughter, and renamed the town to "Auburn."

Another impetus to Auburn's growth was the railroad. The Northern Pacific Railroad put a rail line through town in 1883, but it was the Seattle-Tacoma Interurban line that allowed easy access to both cities starting in 1902. The Interurban allowed farmers to get their product to the markets within hours after harvest. .

Auburn grew through the 20th century like many American towns. Auburn has made the transition from small farms to large industries, but much of the city's history remains. Auburn's downtown still maintains a "Main Street U.S.A." appearance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1930
Main street 1930

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New City Hall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Little shoppingmall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Owner Tattooshop